Although Australian winters are quite short in comparison to the northern hemisphere, the colder winter months can prove to be a dreary time if you're the type that prefers spending time out in the sun with the kids.
However, with a little creative thinking, you can still make memories and have a fabulous time during the winter months.
Bundle up, put on the kids winter shoes and enjoy some outdoor fun with the kids in winter. Then head back inside for some hot chocolate and indoor activities.
From outdoors winter activities to easy winter crafts the whole family will want to get in on, check out this list of fun activities for kids to do when it's cold outside.
Here are some winter activities for kids to get the creative juices flowing:
1. Cook together. Grab a child-friendly cookbook and make something delicious together. Holiday or winter-themed cookies are always good. Baking and decorating can prove to be the perfect way to have hours of fun during the day, and you'll have some delicious food or treats to eat after dinner.
2. Have a craft day. Bring out a box of art supplies and try your hand at some winter crafts. Make snowflakes or snowmen and decorate the house.
3. Go ice-skating. If skating is available in your area, it can prove to be an engaging winter activity. Sometimes ice skating can be a little tough to learn at first, but once you have the hang of it, it can be so much fun.
4. Read. While reading should be a year-round activity, it can also provide some special winter memories. You might try reading stories to your children that take place in the winter season. Enjoy a good story together as a family and allow everyone a turn to read.
5. Painting. One way to get creative outside is to try some chalk paint. You can then let the kids go wild as they create special works of art. Get creative with your outdoor nature crafts this winter by making some snow paint for your kids. Combine food colouring or watercolour paints with some water and place them in a spray bottle.
6. Build an indoor fort. Every child enjoys a good fort building party. Get creative with your blankets and pillows and build a small home within a home for your children. Your kids will enjoy having a special hideout.
7. Enjoy some karaoke. You can buy or rent a karaoke machine for some indoor fun for the entire family and friends. Feel free to get wild and crazy and join in on the fun with them. While it's not for everyone, many parents will enjoy the chance to sing along to their favourite songs.
8. Play online. Spend time searching for some kid activities websites. You'll likely come across websites that allow you to download free printable templates for winter colouring or festive puzzles. You can also consider some kid-friendly online video games.
9. Take a trip to the shopping centre. Remember that you can always go to the local mall as a nice treat for the day. While you may not want to be spending money, it never hurts to look around and get some exercise. You might even want to treat the kids at the food court for good behaviour.
10. Go to a museum. Museums are the perfect destination and are great places to visit during the winter school holidays. If you've never gone before, it'll be an extra special treat. Inquire at the museum about special activities for those smaller patrons. Many museums have ongoing programs and activities for kids.
Remember that the possibilities are endless, even if it is winter! There's no reason to stay cooped up in the colder months dreaming of the summer months. There are lots of super easy fun ways that will get everyone out for some fresh air and still keep the kids or whole family active while having some family fun.